Monday, April 7, 2008

Living wages and week's goals

While idly resting and listening to the radio, I heard something about a living wage campaign. Due to high growth, inflation and what not driving the cost of living up here. Searching for more information, I came across this fact sheet on living wages. Apparently, we're looking at needing to make $12/hr with benefits or $13.25/hr without, based off working 35 hours a week, 52 weeks a year. That works out to $24115/year. It sets a new and much higher benchmark for what I want to accomplish.
One step at a time though. For now, I'll stick to thinking about my starter goals. Then I suppose, minimum wage, living wage and I don't know, median wage? For now, I'm just focusing on starting. It's been a long time since I reviewed the communist manifesto. It's the latest thing on mind lately. One of the key concepts in the manifesto is that your quality of life is dictated by your relation to the means of production. A while ago, the land was the must have thing. There was class struggle between those who owned the land and those who worked the land for food. Then mechanization started and the thing became factory. Now what is the thing that defines the gap between the ruling class and the working class? The price of ownership over the means of production, is now parceled out in some reasonable and affordable increments. Granted, it does take a lot of those to make a difference. At the same time, we have more families with two working parents struggling to make ends meet.
I feel that it might be interesting to review what was said in that book, but last time, it only succeeded in putting me to sleep.
Anyway, to do list for this week, file taxes, clean my room a bit more and get everything setup so that I can shuffle more money around, try to get out.

No comments: