Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Little Things Growing Up

Something reminded me of some of the stupid crap I went through growing up. I always missed the exciting parts of movies because my sister would ask for water and I was the one that wound up getting in trouble if she didn't get any. My mom always pestered me to pile the cans in the basement higher because she was stubbing her toes not watching where they were going. I was always keeping them low because they just weren't stable and a can falling from three feet is definitely going to hurt a lot more. My brother would tell my sister that I'd get her something and she'd complain till I got in trouble for breaking promises that I never made. I actually wound up doing a lot of things for her to keep her from hurting herself, or damaging the house or the furniture and it wound up getting me in trouble. My brother was always getting my sister to abuse me. Stuff like going through my room and slipping papers they find under the bathroom door while I was in there really annoyed me. My parents told my brother to teach me some responsibility and he wound up trying to extort large amounts of money from me through fines.
I can't remember if I mentioned this or not, but it happened back when I was going to elementary school with my brother. I think I would have been like eight at the oldest. My brother was just pounding me while we were in the living room when we were home for lunch one day. My mom was cheering him on. I didn't want to fight. Several years later, I asked her about that incident, she told me that she wished she had done more to discipline me.
They've been treating me like crap and I've been returning the favor, that's not surprising. What is surprising though is how much I care about their respect.

No comments: