Thursday, April 17, 2008

Depressed, but still relaxed

I don't know where to start. I simply feel so lost right now. Life feels so hollow and doesn't seem to be going anywhere. As much as it is enjoyable to sleep a whole week, it hardly makes life feel worth while. While I live in a society that rejects suicide so strongly, I feel entitled to some answers regarding the basic nature of my existence. When I finally finish filling in my core and seeding each of the other segments of my portfolio, I'll feel no guilt about living off the hard work of others for a while. Part of me wants to go to China when that's done so that I can explore my heritage for a while. Another part of me has its heart set on sailing the world for a while. There's so many things I want to see, the polar ice caps, the Canadian seal hunt, the great barrier reef, the amazon river. Then there's a part of me that simply wants to set a count down timer... My friends tell me not to talk about that so...
While I wonder what's next for me, I browse the job market and businesses for sale. A while ago, I found something that seemed to call out to me, a houseboat rental business. It's seasonal, so I have a lot of time off to travel, and I can be close to nature. Though I don't have the money to buy the business, I also don't have the money to grow the business and I don't have anything to cushion myself should the company fail. There were two other businesses for sale that made me click for more details. One was a financing company going for about 100K, 60K of that is the value of the outstanding loans. It kind of makes your head spin when you think about that. If I had enough to appear like a serious bidder, I'd definitely ask to see the financial statements. If that's all they have floating around and their business is thriving like the ad claims, there's something wrong with our society. Though if that's a net value and the company borrowed much of what's been loaned out, that's kind of more believable. The other one that made me click for details was actually a moulding factory of all things. There was no definite asking price, it was just listed as less than a half million dollars. Of course, the capacity is greatly reduced from the plant that I work at and the prime line (where they put paint on) is probably the wrong side of the factory to get relevant experience for running that particular company. They said that they had 20 profiles and worked with 7 different species of wood. I assume that means they do the shaping, which happens on the other side of the plant. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave it a nice wood finish. Or at least I don't see the point of being picky about what type of wood, or going MDF if you're simply going to paint over it.

No comments: