Saturday, June 28, 2008

How Much Can I Draw From My Investment Portfolio

I was thinking about this question and somewhere I got an idea and decided to start searching mutual fund data.
Assumption 1: Index funds out perform most actively managed funds
Assumption 2: Index funds in general have much lower management expense ratios (MER) than actively managed funds
Therefore if I simply tossed all my money into index funds, I should be able to remove at least the difference in management fees to pay my own bills.
So I started by getting the top 10 balanced funds from morningstar's data. After removing funds that I didn't have MER data for and outliers, I was left with 7 funds. The remaining funds had an average annual rate of return over 5 years of 14% with an average MER of 2.086%, then my connection started having trouble.

No comments: