Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Yesterday's News-Internet Connection Down

It feels strange. I am so disconnected without my internet connection. Anyway, definitely feeling the results of too much work. It's hard to move and my muscles ache. I'm considering declining the likely request for overtime that'll probably come later this week. The money is tempting though
Getting more sleep will hopefully be a good thing for me.
Anyway, major thoughts for the day, I started trying to come up with some decisions regarding asset allocation. Basically, I started with if I had a half a million dollars and started going down from there. I made it to $100K before things really broke down. With a lot of things floating in the $20-$100 per share range, or the $2K-$10K per board lot range it started getting difficult to figure out how I'd allocate a $50K portfolio. Unless I want to deal with a mess of odd lots, purchases right now are in the range of 20% of my portfolio value. It almost seems nonsensical.
The other predominant thought that I had was that REITs sound like a good idea for down-turns. Corporations can suspend dividends, but REITs are obligated to pass on a large portion of their taxable income. Leases also tend to delay the effects of the down-turn. Places are also likely to trim hours or trim staff before trimming space. Like my work place for instance. Nobody has come by and partitioned off spaces that we're no-longer allowed to use, but we let go of a few people and cut our hours. We still occupy the same space. Ironically I seem to be working many more hours, the four hour difference in shift lengths plus some overtime.
I read that REIT guide that I found and now I know more about REITs than I had ever cared to know. I'm too tired to write a review now. Though I'll say that the first thing I do when I run into long PDFs is search for the word "recycled." It's kind of funny running into phrases like, "This report is printed on recycled paper," when you don't have a print copy. It doesn't contain the word recycled anywhere, for better or for worse.

No comments: