Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Time to face the music

Yesterday I was told that my parents had one of those end of life discussions with the doctor. This is the situation now, his kidneys aren't improving and there's a lot of dead and damaged heart tissue. Pulling out all the stops to keep him alive might not be the best idea anymore. He's going to be very frail and it's just time to make one of those quality of life decisions. I'm told that the next time something happens, they'll probably be able to save him, but the chance that his life will be nothing more than being hooked up to life support. Ultimately, it's his decision ot make and I suppose our role right now is to just let him know that we're ok with his decision, whatever that may be.
From what I figure, in all likelihood he'll be able to breath on his own in a week or so, hopefully. There's a question of what to do if he can't. I'm hoping that we won't need to address that.
The jist of it is this. It isn't about getting better anymore, it's about getting enough time to make peace with the world. I hope that includes passing down a few kind words.
From what my brother tells me, his girlfriend's grandmother was in a pretty bad spot too and the prevailing estimate was a few months, but she hung in there for a good 25+ years. So maybe.
One of his co-workers talked to us about how this wasn't fair. He worked so hard all his life and never got to enjoy retirement. He kept talking about going on a cruise around europe one day and never got around to it. When I've got my balance sheet squared off, I think I'll try to get a few things off my wish list before trying to be a contributing member of society again. For a while now, I've been thinking of going on a sailing trip to clear my mind and just give me the time I need to hopefully fix a few mental wounds. His thing was europe, as for me, I want to see both polar ice caps. I don't know why. People were bold enough to brave the poles with wooden ships and iron men, I hope I can do the same. I guess I need some adventure and a real sense of accomplishment. Then when I'm done, maybe I'll drop by Poland and tell everyone that I saw a lot of poles. Not sure how many side stops I want to make.
Oh and today is day four, tomorrow is day five.

No comments: