Sunday, July 27, 2008

I'm 25 now

I really don't know what to say. I feel older now having been through so much lately. The loss of my father. Trying to drive again. My brother's efforts to pull the family back together. People like to tell me that I've matured a lot or seem more grown up, but I just simply feel older. I've just been doing the same things I always do to deal with things, only now I'm much worse at coping with stress than before. Nothing has really changed since I moved out, I'm just older. I wager I'll probably approach things the same way I did earlier when I'm on my own again. Maybe it's just that methodology works.
Anyway, I think I've gotten a half way decent start toward my goal of indefinite financial sustainability. That's something that I feel is getting somewhere, though I feel like I'm behind and trying to play catch up. According to one of the books my mom took out of the library, 40 years after the start of their working lives, 1% of people will become wealthy, 8% of people will gain financial independence. Of the ones that don't succeed, 14% will continue working because they need to, 24% did not survive 40 years of work and the remaining 53% will be broke. I'm not sure how accurate those figures are, but they certainly are sad. If we take out the 24% that don't make it, we're still left with about 12% succeeding, which is still saddening. Life just isn't fair.
I'm trying not to let the odds discourage me. There's no end to the number of stories I've heard about people getting burned by debt, or simply reckless spending. I'm sure that has something to do with it. Though it doesn't feel like it could possibly be the bulk of it. Oh well, I guess there isn't much to do but keep moving forward.

No comments: