Monday, October 6, 2008

$514.70

I couldn't think of a good title for this post, but I was reading earlier that the average canadian has $514.70 left in their primary transaction account after all the bills are paid. How do I stack up? Frankly, I try to keep that under $10. Though in all practical sense, predicting my expenses with the accuracy to run with $500 less than average in my primary transaction account is worth about $15/year. Somehow it doesn't quite seem worth it. Then again, in my life what might happen to me? The car I don't own could get a flat tire and need replacement. Hmm, my computer could die and I'd have to patiently wait and plan the purchase of a new one. Umm, I could get sick and need medicine which I'll have to put on my credit card and move money out of my savings account to pay for. Maybe I'll think of something.
In other news, I'm once again rethinking my investment plans. Since September 23rd, my hypothetical portfolio of reits is down 16.34%, compared to 15.06% for the reit index I'd like to beat. Though I did out perform the TSX, which fell 18.37% in the same time period. The venture exchange has dropped almost that much in the past two days. The Dow though did a 8.28% drop, which is considerably better. The correlation data is valuable, though the current allocations no longer reflect the amount of money I anticipate I'll be able to invest. Granted there's still a heck of a lot of time for them to bounce around. Meh, it's completely hypotheical for now anyway. I'll defer decisions for when resources free up again.

No comments: