Saturday, August 30, 2008

What do I really want to count in my financial inventory?

Question of the day, do I want to reconsider whether or not I want to put money into real-estate investments? With my father passing away, I suddenly find myself running a real-estate holding firm. Granted, I still don't own any of it. Though once probate is done, real-estate investments will probably be well over 2/3rds of my net worth. The firm doesn't have a history of providing returns to shareholders, or repaying their interest free shareholder debt. While I may be handling the day to day aspects of the business, I do not have a controlling interest and I do not trust the other shareholders to sufficiently represent my interests on major decisions, such as payouts. This being a small firm, the shares are also completely illiquid. Do I really want to consider this when I decide on my asset allocation? It feels kind of silly. This is more like a part time job that I don't get paid for than an investment right now. Oh and with regards to that, my brother keeps telling me that I should put this on my resume. Somehow I don't feel it's really something to brag about right now. If I were to describe my accomplishments thus far, I managed to increase expenses by 30% without the company going broke in the first month. In a slightly more serious tone, I suppose I'd say that I started catching up with maintenance, and properly insured the one building in the firm. That probably puts it in a better light.

No comments: