Sunday, November 30, 2008

Things I'm putting off

I'm putting off spending money on a lot of things, some of them more important than others.
New sweat pants
A cloak or parts to make one
Auxiliary camera
Shoes
Steel toed boots
New monitor

Not sure what else I want. For now, I have sweat pants. The waist is worn on one pair and there's a few rips around the ankles of another pair and I have one good pair. I'm expecting that I might want to wear a pair under my other pants when it gets colder.
When it gets colder is what I want a cloak for too. In a moment of eccentricity it dawned on me that I only need my arms out for locking the door and pulling out my bus pass in the winter. I also want to keep my arms closer to my body and preferable under an insulating layer with everything else. Why not shelter my arms from the wind. I haven't quite figured out how to hold it shut yet, or what sort of design to use. Right now I'm thinking of a simple rectangular pattern with a throw blanket, a utility blanket, polytarp and some outer layer for the sake of I don't really want to be going around looking like I'm wearing a tarp.
I'll skip to shoes since it's simple. I've been wearing the same shoes for a long time. They're worn, but still working.
Steel-toed boots simply need to be kept in good condition to be safe. There's a bit of steel showing in mine now. I'm not going to gamble with it, but I'll keep running with them for now, wait till they get a bit more worn.
My monitor is also breaking. From time to time the image will flicker. The image also dies from time to time. Probably going to switch to LCD when it breaks. There's plenty of computers around here anyway so loosing that one isn't much of a burden for me. I can wait a while to get it going again.
I'd like a camera that I can carry around anywhere without worry. Right now, I don't really want to damage my camera. Probably something cheap, a toy camera. There've been two things that I've been looking at, key chain cameras and a wonky waterproof vga camera. Off hand, I'm leaning towards the waterproof. It'll survive where I take it, such as into the dusty factory that I work at. There's no preview screen on it though. Keychain sized cameras have a certain appeal to them too. There's a plethora of other things to choose from too. I suppose ideally, I'd go for something that feels hardened, has a preview screen, and external memory. The last one is the hard one to find. It used to be that preview screens were hard to find on very-low-end cameras but external memory wasn't that scarce. I know I'm not going to find something with everything that I'm looking for. Maybe I'll actually decide to buy something and try it out sometime. Wanted something like this for quite some time now.

No comments: